The Kings got an ideal start to their 2013/2014 campaign via a 6-1 win over the Chilliwack Chiefs on Saturday night. The game was the BCHL opener for both teams, with a crowd of just over 1000 on hand at Prospera to see the Chiefs first action since a playoff exit in the 2nd round. Here are some thoughts on the game:
- Sloppy game, exactly what we expected going in. There wasn’t much ‘style’ to this game, but as Derek Bachynski pointed out in the post game show, there were some pretty plays. It was more exhibition than regular season, but it showcased individual talent and instant chemistry over systems and coaching. That of course will change the longer the season goes on, and the staff have a chance to develop the team.
- The line of Coleshaw, Scarfo, Dorantes combined for 3 goals and 4 assists through the game and were stellar. There seemed to be an instant chemistry between the trio of players, something that has developed quickly through just a couple of games and a few practices.
- Really solid performance from the blue liners. All 6 contributed something meaningful and ‘stood out’. LeClerc obviously had the goal, but Wright and Chatham had some good chances all night, Rideout played in all situations and got better as the game went on, and Ripley and Burns were very good. It’s going to be tough to put a guy like Trevor MacLean in for Sunday’s game (if indeed the coaches do that), and pull one of those guys out on performance alone.
- Really liked what Curtis McCarrick, Luke McCaw and Truman Gonzales bought when they were on the ice. Every shift generated something, they weren’t the “4th line” you put out to rest your older guys, they generated chances, with all three having legitimate opportunities to score.
- Jonah Imoo rarely troubled. If you have to let in a goal, the deflection from 3 feet in front of you is probably the one you want. So tough to stop those and impossible to react. None of Jonah’s 22 saves stood out as ‘spectacular’, but his positioning was good, as was his work with the Chiefs to the side of the goal. No gaps.
Here’s what Derek Bachynski had to say after the game:
Three Stars of the Game
- Ryan Scarfo (Kings) – 2 goals, 1 assist
- Drew Dorantes (Kings) – 1 goal, 2 assists
- Matt Scarth (Kings) – 1 goal
The Kings turn right back around and face the Salmon Arm Silverbacks at 10:30 Sunday morning. That game will be at the same SunFM and FastHockey links as Saturday’s game and we’ll go live with the pre-game show at 10:00am, puck drop at 10:30 from the 2nd rink at the Prospera Centre.